Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

This is what I will be sharing with my church family tonight:

New Year's Eve

2008-2009


1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. 5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming.7 In these you too once walked, when you were living in them.8 But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.9 Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. - Colossians 3:1-10 (ESV)


  1. A Time to Review our Priorities

    1. Raised with Christ?

    2. Minds set above, or on earth?

  2. A Time to Review our Position

    1. Dead

    2. Hidden with Christ in God

    3. Appearance in glory

  3. A Time to Review our Practice

    1. Put to Death:

      1. sexual immorality

      2. impurity

      3. passion

      4. evil desire

      5. covetousness

      6. idolatry

    2. Put Away:

      1. anger

      2. wrath

      3. malice

      4. slander

      5. obscene talk

    3. Recognize that we once walked and lived in these, even in this past year.

  4. A Time to be Renewed

    1. Put off the old self, put on the new

    2. Be renewed in knowledge coming from the Creator


      O Lord,

      Length of days does not profit me except the days are passed in thy presence, in thy service, to thy glory. Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides, sustains, sanctifies, aids every hour, that I may not be one moment apart from thee, but may rely on thy Spirit to supply every thought, speak in every word, direct every step, prosper every work, build up every mote of faith, and give me a desire to show forth thy praise; testify thy love, advance thy kingdom. I launch my bark on the unknown waters of this year, with thee, O Father, as my harbour, thee, O Son, at my helm, thee, O Holy Spirit, filling my sails. Guide me to heaven with my loins girt, my lamp burning, my ear open to thy calls, my heart full of love, my soul free. Give me thy grace to sanctify me, thy comforts to cheer, thy wisdom to teach, thy right hand to guide, thy counsel to instruct, thy law to judge, thy presence to stabilize. May thy fear be my awe, thy triumphs my joy. (“New Year”, Valley of Vision, pg. 206-207)

No comments: