Saturday, June 27, 2009

Two Things That I Learned This Past Week

1) Since 1929, pedestrians have had the right-of-way in Connecticut. (Courtesy of an editorial in the Danbury News-Record.)

2) You cannot buy postcards in Connecticut. (Courtesy of personal experience.)


*****




We spent the past week in Connecticut, visiting the graves of my ancestors (nine generations in three cemeteries), took a side trip to the Boston area to visit my wife's mother's cousin, and also visited with my Dad's cousin. Whenever we visit somewhere on vacation my wife makes it a point to buy a fistful of postcards and then mail them out to family and friends. Most of our travels are in the south or the west, and you can always find postcards at drug stores, grocery stores, tourist traps, etc. However, it appears that this is not the case in Connecticut. Asking clerks in stores resulted in puzzled looks, and one young lady in the Rite-Aide drug store in Danbury told us: "I don't think that I have ever seen a Connecticut post card. We don't get many tourists here."

We also discovered a bit of my wife's family history:

No comments: