Thursday, March 19, 2009

Perspective

Have you ever noticed that some people are natural optimists? One of these ever-cheery people is my Dad, who always answers the question "How are you?" with a strong "Great! But it is going to get better!" Honestly, there are times when I don't feel great, and also times when I doubt things are going to get better (I take after my Mom who is more of a pragmatist than my Dad).

Yet, as a Christian, I am assured that things are going to get better. This was reaffirmed as I was reading the Pocket Paperback, Anger Management, extracted from the works of Richard Baxter. The book concludes with "A Brief Life of Richard Baxter" by J.C. Ryle in which we see recorded these words from Baxter when close to death and asked as to his state:

"Better than I deserve to be, but not so well as I hope to be." (pg. 55-56)

This sounds similar to my Dad's quip, recognizing that both sentiments are grounded in a firm belief in God's providential care for his children.

"...no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Cor 2:9, ESV)

Great, better than I deserve. It is going to get better, I am not yet as well as I hope to be.

No comments: