Friday, August 15, 2008

Precious Remedies - Possible life mottos?

Thomas Brooks is big on footnotes, many of them containing phrases in Latin. Two of these have caught my eye as possible life mottos:

Nil nisi peccatum timeo - attributed to Chrysostom (pg. 33, "I fear nothing but sin")

A me, me salva Domine - attributed to Augustine (pg. 51, "Deliver me, O Lord, from that evil man myself")

The first one is probably not a good choice, since Crysostom was replying to threats by the Empress Eudoxia, showing his contempt for her authority. I doubt that he intended this to be a comprehensive sentiment, seeing as "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom". Besides, it smacks too much of the "No Fear" that graces numerous pick-up truck windows and T-shirts.

However, the second might just be the ticket for a life motto, especially if coupled with Scripture, as follows:


"A me, me salva Domine"
Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? (Romans 7:24)

No comments: